San Francisco Teeth Whitening
The positive effects of teeth whitening can completely transform a person’s appearance, as well as how they feel about themselves. Patients in the Embarcadero area of San Francisco are fortunate to have Skoulas DDS in their area to provide the best teeth whitening procedures that help alter their lives for the better. With the technological advancements over the years, teeth whitening has never been more affordable, quicker and effective. It’s a routine, and non-invasive procedure provided by Dr. Skoulas that will result in beautiful white teeth patients can be proud of.
Causes of Teeth Discoloration
Patients in San Francisco and Embarcadero who have discolored teeth don’t have anything to worry about. However, most patients understand the advantages of having shiny white teeth, which include looking more professional in the job market, enhancing one’s self-esteem, confidence and more. Over time, teeth can become discolored for many reasons, including the following:
- Genetics – Some people are born with white teeth, but others have naturally discolored Teeth whitening can still improve the appearance of the teeth, but depending on how intense the discoloration is, other options, like crowns or veneers, may be required to get shiny white results.
- Age – The older we get, the more our tooth enamel will start to turn a yellow color. As the enamel becomes more transparent and thinner over time, the underlying yellow layer starts showing.
- Certain Foods and Drinks – Most people eat foods and drink certain drinks that lead to teeth discoloration. Things like blueberries, citrus and acidic foods, coffee, wine, tea, soda and many more can contribute to discolored teeth over time. It’s not fair to make people in San Francisco and Embarcadero give up the foods and drinks they love, so that’s why teeth whitening is available.
- Smoking – People who smoke will likely develop discolored teeth over time. Teeth whitening procedures typically respond very well to discoloration caused by smoking.
- Trauma – Whether trauma to a tooth occurred recently or many years ago, it’s possible it could lead to discoloration.
Alternative Options to Teeth Whitening
While Dr. Skoulas is the best at providing teeth whitening to patients in the Embarcadero area of San Francisco, some teeth may be impossible to whiten completely. Genetics is typically the most common reason why teeth whitening is not as effective, but trauma and age could be reasons as well. The good news is patients don’t have to live with discolored teeth. With porcelain veneers or crowns, Dr. Skoulas can match the whiteness from the patient’s natural teeth to cover up any amount of discoloration. Patients always have options when it comes to whiter teeth, even if traditional teeth whitening isn’t an option.
Do You Want to Improve Your Smile?
Can All Tooth Stains Be Treated with Teeth Whitening?
Intrinsic and extrinsic stains are the two categories of tooth stains. Extrinsic tooth stains occur on the outer surface of the tooth. Intrinsic tooth stains occur inside the tooth. Teeth whitening is much more effective on extrinsic tooth stains since the discoloration occurs on the outer layer of the tooth. Intrinsic tooth stains often will require alternative methods to whiten the teeth.
Options Available for Teeth Whitening
When patients in the Embarcadero area of San Francisco meet with Dr. Skoulas, they will be presented with two teeth whitening options to choose from: in-office treatments or take-home treatments. These options are based on the severity of the teeth discoloration, the patient’s oral history, the timeframe desired for results and more.
The in-office teeth whitening treatment is typically recommended by Dr. Skoulas because of its effectiveness. The benefits include:
- Lightening the teeth by up to two shades
- One treatment will take roughly one hour
- Results will be immediate
Some San Francisco and Embarcadero patients opt for take-home teeth whitening due to teeth sensitivity or not having enough tooth enamel. By choosing the take-home option, patients will:
- Be provided with dental trays and a bleaching material to use at home
- Have to wear the trays daily for 20-30 minutes, and for one-to-three months
- See more gradual whitening and can stop treatments when desired results are achieved
Who Makes the Best Teeth Whitening Candidate?
Everyone in the Embarcadero area of San Francisco deserves to be comfortable with the appearance of their teeth. Almost everyone is a candidate for traditional teeth whitening procedures. However, specific factors may require some people to pursue other options as directed by Dr. Skoulas. The following factors may mean patients are not the best candidates for teeth whitening:
- Intrinsic stains – As previously mentioned, intrinsic stains are too deep inside the teeth to be affected by teeth whitening, in most cases.
- Receding gums – Teeth whitening works on tooth enamel, but not exposed roots. Results from teeth whitening could be inconsistent for patients with receding gums.
- Crowns, veneers or bonding materials – These materials are not affected by teeth whitening. If San Francisco and Embarcadero patients have a combination of these materials and natural teeth, the material will have to be replaced to match the color of the natural teeth.
- Cavities – A cavity can create some problems in teeth, and the whitening agents may generate sensitivity for patients.
- Teeth sensitivity – Patients who experience teeth sensitivity of any intensity will likely experience more due to the nature of the teeth whitening procedure. Teeth whitening will still be effective, but alternate options are often taken.
- Thin enamel – Teeth whitening works by penetrating tooth enamel. If there is not enough tooth enamel present, then the results may not be as effective, and patients could experience some sensitivity.
- Teeth grinding – Patients who grind their teeth may not be able to use the take-home teeth whitening option. The dental trays can be uncomfortable for people who grind their teeth often.
- Too young – Generally patients 16 years and older are the best candidates. The expanded size of the pulp chamber inside the teeth can create some sensitivity for younger patients.
Before patients decide whether they are a good candidate for teeth whitening or not, they are encouraged to consult with Dr. Skoulas to discuss all of these points and discover the best possible option.
Expected Results with Teeth Whitening
Every San Francisco and Embarcadero patient asks Dr. Skoulas what their expected results should be following teeth whitening, as well as how long the whitening should last. The short answer is it depends on the patient’s current oral condition as well as future dental hygiene habits. With in-house teeth whitening, results can be expected immediately and can last for up to two years with proper dental hygiene. Avoiding common foods and drinks that lead to teeth discoloration is recommended, but the longevity of the results largely depend on the patient.
With the take-home whitening option provided by Dr. Skoulas, more control is in the patient’s hands. The results should be similar but depend entirely on how closely the patient follows Dr. Skoulas’ recommendations, including not missing a whitening session.
For Whiter Teeth, Work with Dr. Skoulas
People in the Embarcadero area of San Francisco have busy lives, and Dr. Skoulas understands that. She is a native of the Bay Area and appreciates the fast-paced and busy lifestyles her patients lead. Not only is Dr. Skoulas a kind, compassionate and gentle dentist, she also is accommodating as much as possible to cater to her patients. Some of the accommodations patients enjoy at Skoulas DDS include:
- Emergency dentistry – Dental emergencies can happen at the most unexpected moments. Dr. Skoulas is always willing to come in at any hour to treat an emergency.
- After-hours dentistry – Some San Francisco and Embarcadero patients aren’t able to come into our office during regular business hours for various reasons. Dr. Skoulas will accommodate those patients by coming in early, staying late or even coming in on the weekends if needed.
- In-office entertainment – One key to a successful experience is being relaxed in the dental chair. Dr. Skoulas provides Spotify and Netflix access to patients to ensure they are comfortable and entertained.
Patients can feel confident knowing they are getting the best possible dental work done when they walk into Skoulas DDS. Dr. Skoulas graduated from the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco, which provides some of the highest quality dental education and training worldwide. She has lectured at the UCLA School of Dentistry in past years. Dr. Skoulas is a member of several notable dental organizations, including the Academy of Operative Dentistry, the American Dental Association and American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. And in her spare time, Dr. Skoulas enjoys spending time abroad providing underprivileged communities with her dental services.
Schedule a Consultation Today
The first step to having whiter teeth is to call our San Francisco office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Skoulas. No matter if you’re a first-time patient or you’ve visited us before, we are thrilled to work with you to create a smile you can be proud of. We will discuss any potential concerns you have, learn about your oral history and make recommendations based on your specific situation.
Our goal is to give you the smile you’ve always dreamed about, so contact us at (415) 757-0110 today to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Skoulas.